Seriously, THE. BEST. TIME.
And I'm not saying that because I was in charge.
I am saying that because we played hard and had SO much fun!
This reunion was something we've talked about for years. It was my Grandparents (who passed away ten years ago) five children and all their children (my cousins)
and their children (my kids and their 2nd cousins).
and their children (my kids and their 2nd cousins).
Cousins just happens to be one of the most unique, magical relationship.
I love watching my own cousins and my children with their cousins pick up right where they left off.
Even without knowing each other intimately, miles separating themselves from the details of their lives, that family bond quickly and deeply brings them together as friends.
And so we began, at the ranch where my grandparents spent most of their life
and where my dad spends his days (and nights).
The cattle drive...
Aunt Kristin got her nieces and nephews in all the right garb with these fun hats!
This cowboy called himself and everyone around him, "pardner" all day!
My cute dad was the perfect person to be in charge
as being at the ranch, on a horse, with his family is his love.
We would ride for a while and then trade off with those in following in the pick-up trucks.
Everyone had a great time and got a chance to ride (and I got to hold my darling, sleeping nephew Paxton).
There wasn't a cloud in the sky and with 95 degrees we welcomed the slight breeze,
even if it added to the dust from the horses and trucks.
Hot and hungry we stopped for our lunch break, right there in the middle of the desert.
We had it "Grandma Prescott" style. Under the shade of the horse trailer my Grandma
would serve delicious meals to every cowboy.
We visited and caught up with each other.
PS. My Dad is a "real" cowboy (you know belt buckle, brushpopper, hat, weathered and well worn hands, knows the job and the animals, etc.) and my version of a cowboy hat killed him. It was bad enough that I bought it at Savemart in California...and then the flower on the side...let's just say thank goodness he still loves me. Come to think of it, he probably didn't think my colored capris and beads were appropriate either, but he didn't mention them.
Then we headed back along the canal banks to the ranch.
This photo of my cousin, Katie and my Katelyn was taken just two minutes before this horse completely reared up and bucked these two cowgirls off. As I saw the horse was starting to act up I asked my sister to stop the truck I got out and told Katelyn I was there and sent up a silent prayer and plea to my Heavenly Father to "please help this situation to be OK and no one to get hurt". My mom, sister, and brother were also praying as we approached what could have been a serious incident. Katie pulled Katelyn up and over as the horse reared up (possibly saving her from the saddle horn hurting her upon impact and over as to save the weight of the horse from crushing her body). What an answer to prayers and blessing neither one of them were hurt. Most of us that were there were shaken up, but not Katelyn. She was fine and I think more embarrassed by the attention.
Some people went skeet shooting, some showered, some gathered and visited, some cooked...
we all enjoyed dinner together.
Then we headed to the "ranch's cowboy's" home arena.
This had to be a one of my favorite times of the reunion! We had SO much fun.
We got it kicked off with my cousin's son singing a beautiful rendition of the National Anthem while Katie paraded our flag. There were events for all age groups, including roping, goat wrestling, ribbon tying on the goat's tail, sheep riding, steer riding, horse back barrels, and a couple's event on the 4-wheelers. It was a blast!!! My favorite event of the entire weekend for sure!! We laughed so hard together and seeing such pure joy on everyone's faces made me so happy!!
I wish I could have included ALL the pictures from this fun night!
as being at the ranch, on a horse, with his family is his love.
We would ride for a while and then trade off with those in following in the pick-up trucks.
Everyone had a great time and got a chance to ride (and I got to hold my darling, sleeping nephew Paxton).
There wasn't a cloud in the sky and with 95 degrees we welcomed the slight breeze,
even if it added to the dust from the horses and trucks.
Hot and hungry we stopped for our lunch break, right there in the middle of the desert.
We had it "Grandma Prescott" style. Under the shade of the horse trailer my Grandma
would serve delicious meals to every cowboy.
We visited and caught up with each other.
PS. My Dad is a "real" cowboy (you know belt buckle, brushpopper, hat, weathered and well worn hands, knows the job and the animals, etc.) and my version of a cowboy hat killed him. It was bad enough that I bought it at Savemart in California...and then the flower on the side...let's just say thank goodness he still loves me. Come to think of it, he probably didn't think my colored capris and beads were appropriate either, but he didn't mention them.
Then we headed back along the canal banks to the ranch.
This photo of my cousin, Katie and my Katelyn was taken just two minutes before this horse completely reared up and bucked these two cowgirls off. As I saw the horse was starting to act up I asked my sister to stop the truck I got out and told Katelyn I was there and sent up a silent prayer and plea to my Heavenly Father to "please help this situation to be OK and no one to get hurt". My mom, sister, and brother were also praying as we approached what could have been a serious incident. Katie pulled Katelyn up and over as the horse reared up (possibly saving her from the saddle horn hurting her upon impact and over as to save the weight of the horse from crushing her body). What an answer to prayers and blessing neither one of them were hurt. Most of us that were there were shaken up, but not Katelyn. She was fine and I think more embarrassed by the attention.
Some people went skeet shooting, some showered, some gathered and visited, some cooked...
we all enjoyed dinner together.
Then we headed to the "ranch's cowboy's" home arena.
This had to be a one of my favorite times of the reunion! We had SO much fun.
We got it kicked off with my cousin's son singing a beautiful rendition of the National Anthem while Katie paraded our flag. There were events for all age groups, including roping, goat wrestling, ribbon tying on the goat's tail, sheep riding, steer riding, horse back barrels, and a couple's event on the 4-wheelers. It was a blast!!! My favorite event of the entire weekend for sure!! We laughed so hard together and seeing such pure joy on everyone's faces made me so happy!!
I wish I could have included ALL the pictures from this fun night!
















So much fun. I will always remember riding bare back -behind Matthew in his little saddle- with him saying," Howdy Partner," to all we passed. Great reunion. Thanks for all your work. You did a great job. Thanks to everyone that helped make it such a happy, yummy and memorable event. XOXO - Mom
ReplyDelete