Thursday, August 9, 2012

Even I can do Hard Things


In 2007 we put Aubrey on the local swim team and I've spent the last five years cheering and encouraging my now four swimmers.  In addition, I've driven them to practices between three and five times a week and sat through hours of them.  As a family we've gone to meet after meet, cheering them from the pool side and encouraging and supporting them throughout.  I've yelled things like "kick harder, reach, pull, take less breaths, get your belly up, put your chin down"...and the list goes on.  Because from the stands it looks quite simple.  It's easy to see the older, more efficient swimmers and their beautiful strokes gliding them through the water and make quick comparisons to my own beginner swimmer children. 

That all changed last Thursday when I finally decided to take my first private swim lesson.  I had been telling Tyler for months that I wanted to, but seriously he didn't believe me.  I had been jokingly saying that I'd drown in any competitive triathlons, let alone pool.  He always said things like,
"I'm sure you know how to swim, it's like riding a bike."
"You took swim lessons as a kid, it will come back to you."
"I'll watch you next time we're at a pool, I'm sure you can do just fine."
Really it had been probably 30 years since I'd put my face in the water.  I mean there was the mascara issue, the nose boogers to deal with, and since I have naturally frizzy hair which I painstakingly straighten everyday...the hair. However, I am in the water a lot.  I love to water-ski, wake board, and play around in the pool or beach with my kids, just not put my face in and do a free-style stroke. 
And so it took about 1 minute when my lesson began to realize indeed I NEEDED swim lessons.  My awesome instructor, a UC Davis college student, but Rocklin Wave coach by summer, Michael was so patient.  He began with terms that the six year old next to me completely understood, like "bottom bumpers" and "chest pumpers".    I would need to go under and touch the bottom with my bottom blowing bubbles the entire time, followed by getting into a horizontal position and laying my chest down on the bottom"...hmmm this was going be a challenge.  After a few more breathing exercises Michael wanted to see me do some kicking.  The good news was that my kicking was a lot better than my breathing.  Long story short, sweet Michael spent more than the allotted, paid for 30 minutes with me and I had learned a lot.  I didn't leave a swimmer.  Not even close.  I didn't even swim 25 meters. 
It was OK though, my family was at home cheering for me suggesting I lay on the bar stools and show them what I'd learned. They each had advice such as, "kicking is what will help you not sink Mom" and "you've got to tuck your chin lower".   My in-laws told me on the phone how happy they were that maybe now I could rescue their darling grandchildren if needs be (they had probably been worried for years) and that if I could gain some good technique distance would come.   That's right, with technique I could add distance.  That evening I put on my Facebook wall, "Who says you can't teach an old dog, new tricks...it's just not true!! Today I took my first private swim lesson at age 37! I now have a new appreciation for my kids and ALL the laps they do, making it look so easy!!"  Thirty two people "liked" my comment and 13 others gave me encouraging words of affirmation, like "way to go Rachelle".  I was smiling.  I was tired and sore, but I was proud of myself for pushing myself extra hard.  Now I realize for many this is not anything hard, but for me it was powerful.  A great reminder of what kind of person I am, driven, motivated, and willing to do hard things.  But, let's be real.  How often do I feel those feelings while doing the laundry and making dinner?  
And don't get me wrong being a mother is a "hard thing".  Just different.  Very, very different.  I love that we all have strengths and weaknesses.  They are physical, temporal, spiritual, emotional and hugely vary. 
What kept me "pumped up" and positive was my friend who is doing a "couch to 5K" running plan.  She began trying to run 1/4 of a mile.  Now I am a runner and 1/4 of a mile is not far for me.  However for her, it was HUGE!!  I want to swim 32 laps to compete in a sprint triathlon and really the task is overwhelmingly daunting to me.  But just like I tell my girlfriend, she can do it, a little at a time, so can I.

Last, but not least one of our family mottos is "Prices do hard things".  The fact that I couldn't swim was a complete surprise to my kids.  They had no idea.  But several times as I was telling them how hard it was they reminded me, "Mom you can do it, because we do hard things in our family."  How could I NOT do it?

Fast forward one week and four lessons later.  I am "done" with my lessons for now.  Michael has taught me many things including how to tread water, rest on my back, breast stroke, and much about my freestyle technique.  I am far from where I want to be.  But I am confident I can progress.  My last lesson he suggested I just try the back stroke.  Let's just say, that's the stroke I own!  Whew...there's one I can excel at!  Michael ran and got his phone and recorded it for my kids to see.  He suggested that maybe next year I'll swim the back-stroke  in the parent's relay?! Who knows!

After my final lesson, where Michael had invested more time than he had been paid for (even given me his goggles because the ones I had borrowed from my kids were too tight) working with me, he was swarmed by anxious parents wanting to talk about their child's lessons, arrangements, etc.  I quietly got out of the pool, took a deep breath, removed my swim goggles, put back on my sun glasses and flip-flops and began walking back to my car.  As I turned to leave the pool deck, a different coach yelled from atop the diving board, "Hey, nice swimming".

5 comments:

  1. oh Rachelle, one more reason I adore you! You understand that in order to be a GREAT mother, you must invest time {and challenge} in YOURSELF. Way to go!
    Now let's see that video of your back stroke posted ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always said I can't do a tri because I don't swim - I just drown slowly! Way to go Rachelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome!! Congrats on your progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! You did it! I'm so impressed! So now, be sure to go swimming often so you can practice what you have learned. You have been such a good support and cheer leader for your kids, so here's one for you.....WAY TO GO RACHELLE! Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!! Good for you. I didn't see your fb status for some reason but I am here now to cheer you on!! That's awesome. Water is such a daunting thing. Because, well, you can drown! I know you'll be doing that tri in no time. I have been thinking about things I want to do to develop my talents. I am excited about the possibilities. Guitar! Piano! Running a longer race! Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails