Sunday, January 29, 2012

Gotta Try This One

I love soup!  
Especially on cold, rainy days I love a good soup to warm you from the inside out.  
Our January has been pretty mild so far so I gave up on making this on a rainy day, instead I made it on a sunny, beautiful one last week.  My friend Eliza passed it on and it is SO delicious!  
Regardless if your weather is rainy or sunny, hope you enjoy!


Tomato Bisque



                                                Eliza Wellman (12)

 1/2 cup chopped onion
 1/2 cup butter-divided
 2 minced garlic cloves
 1 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
 1 teaspoon oregano
 1 teaspoon fresh basil
 5 cups tomatoes  (2 1/2 cup fresh and 2 1/2 cup canned diced)
 1 (6 ounce can) tomato paste
 4 cups chicken broth
 2 Tablespoon flour
 2 teaspoon salt
 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
 4 teaspoon honey
 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
 2/3 cup fat free half and half
fresh Parmesan
croutons
In a large pot, melt 6 Tablespoons butter.  Saute onions, garlic, herbs, on med-low for about 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.  Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth and heat to simmer.  Make a roux w/flour and remaining 2 Tablespoons butter, whisking constantly over medium heat 3 min w/o browning.  Add roux to stock, whisking to blend. Add salt and pepper.  Bring to boil to thicken, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered for 15 min.  Add honey, cream and half and half.  Use blender to smooth out the consistency.
Serve with fresh Parmesan and croutons.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. But please tell me--who is going to eat this besides me, my husband and MAYBE my oldest!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, sounds delicious! I'll have to try it. Sounds like it doesn't have any carbs or fats! We are always looking for new soup recipes. Thanks for sharing. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails