Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tyler's 36th Birthday

Tyler seems to have a very hard time thinking of any ideas he'd like for his birthday.  As in, like to save his life he can't think of ANYTHING he'd need or want.  The kids have been asking him since Christmas what they could get for him.  Seriously, I wish it were my problem.  I came home Friday morning from the gym at 6:35 and there were my three girls who had gotten up by themselves (no alarm, just excited because although it wasn't Christmas, it was Dad's birthday!) to make Tyler breakfast in bed.  I already had an oven pancake in the works, but while it was cooking they were preparing toast with cinnamon and sugar.  Their specialty!  These are the moments I want forever to remember.  My little ones - all in their pajamas, lit only by the night light (to not wake him up), almost in a full run down the hall, singing Happy Birthday at the top of their lungs, so proud of their gift for him. 


We gave him his gifts in the morning and I love this picture of him smiling when he heard that Aubrey had picked out the shirt for him, and he loved it. 

I grew up with birthdays being a big deal!!  Maybe even a little more than Tyler's comfortable with.  I think he would prefer to just age quietly.  After the surprise dinner party I threw last year I figured I'd opt for something a little more low key.  I surprised him and had the kids go to a friend's house for the night and we had nineteen hours alone (but hey, whose counting?).  We had a nice, QUIET candlelit dinner by the fire, a trip out to get gelato (gearing up for our trip!!) , rented a movie, slept in without being woken by anyone, went out to breakfast at one of our favorite local spots, and had a great time together.  Speaking of breakfast this little Ma and Pop shop, Venita Rhea's cooks up the yummiest breakfasts.  I had a huge omelette with shredded pork, sour creme, pepper-jack cheese, and avocado.  Tyler had one of their specialties, Venita Browns.  It is layered with hash-browns, eggs, sour creme, cheddar, bacon, sausage, ham, corned beef, and scallions.  You can see why we didn't eat lunch.

I am so blessed to have Tyler in my life. He is my better-half, my best friend, and my everything.

5 comments:

  1. You are so good at making birthday's so special. This one was A+. It's fun to see that you have also passed it on to your kids. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely and thoughtful! I am sorry I even texted him that night, I didn't know it was his birthday!! Sounds like a wonderful time for both of you. Well deserved too.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Ty! It sucks to be getting old doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. If you only knew how often I check it for updates. Way to make a birthday very special, Rachelle and kids!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails