After a wonderful, all-day Family History Conference the genealogy "bug" bit me and I'm super excited about taking part in contributing to and learning more about our family history. I know there is a season for everything and so sitting and indexing for hours (like my fantastic mother-in-law is enjoying during her retirement) isn't in the cards for me right now. And this blog is keeping a record of our current events quite nicely. However, I LOVE stories and photos so I'm excited to do some fun things involving my family now. Our lesson for family home evening last night was all about the fun activities and projects we can do together and making a plan to get started. We each individually picked one thing and I've got a few projects on my goal list for 2015 that will fit perfectly.
Earlier in the day I read this store from this month's Ensign magazine
and knew my family would love it as much as I did.
Loving Those Who Have Gone before Us
Our lives are changed as we come to know and love family members who have passed on.![]()
Jerry Kelly, spring 1944
A
man I’ve never met has recently shaped my life. His name is Jerry
Kelly, and he’s my great-uncle. Jerry served as an American pilot in
World War II. On October 20, 1944, he was flying a close-support mission
over Germany when his plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire. After he
radioed that he had smoke in the cockpit, his plane began losing
altitude and was last seen disappearing into a cloud.
Sixty-nine
years later, as I was reading the 19th-century journal of my
great-great-great-grandfather, I came across an entry in which he
expressed the hope that his descendants would “not forget the dead.” As I
pondered these words, I thought of Jerry, because in many ways he had
been forgotten. Our family
knew a few details about him, but only one story about Jerry had been
passed down: during the time he was listed as missing in action, his
mother sometimes cooked a plate of food and left it on the kitchen
table, just in case Jerry returned while the family was out.
Jerry Looked Just like Me
As
I thought about how Jerry was only 20 years old when he died, I
realized that he had no direct descendants to pass on the story of his
life to future generations. A strong spiritual impression came to my
mind: Jerry’s story needs to be preserved. He deserves to be remembered.
I
had never seen a photo of Jerry, so the first step in my journey was to
find one. I called the Granite School District in Utah, where Jerry had
attended high school. They had old yearbooks in a basement vault, so I
visited them the next day. On page 96 of the 1942 Granite High School
yearbook, I saw Jerry for the first time. Something happened inside me
when I saw his photo. He suddenly became a real person, with familiar
family features and an entire life ahead of him. When I shared the photo
with my family, my aunt said, “Ryan, he looks just like you.” That day I
determined to learn as much as I could about Jerry.
I
searched newspaper articles and military records and found several
important documents. A 1942 newspaper article showed a picture of Jerry
presenting the senior class gift at his high school graduation. The
Missing Air Crew Report for Jerry’s plane included details about where
the plane was shot down in Germany. Another newspaper article, written
in 1949, announced Jerry’s memorial service and revealed that his body
wasn’t returned to his home in Salt Lake City until five years after his
death. Information on FamilySearch.org indicated that also during 1949,
Jerry received his temple endowment by proxy and was sealed to his
parents.
But
there was yet more for me to learn about Jerry. I wrote a brief essay
for my family in which I shared what I had learned. My mom and dad were
touched while reading the essay and suggested that I send it to my
great-aunt Ruth, Jerry’s only sister, who lives in California. She wrote
back:
“Ryan,
your essay touched my heart. You have found details that I did not
know. Jerry was a special person. He was smart, a straight-A student,
very funny, and life-loving. At our 50th high school reunion, we were
asked what event at Granite High we remembered most. One woman said,
‘The day we learned that Jerry Kelly was missing in action.’ Jerry made
an impression on a lot of people.”
My
dad and I later visited Ruth in California. She shared stories about
Jerry and also about my grandfather, who died nine years before I was
born. During our visit, Ruth revealed that she had saved all the letters
Jerry wrote to his family during the war—150 letters full of memories
written in his beautiful handwriting. The last letter was written only
seven days before his death.
Ruth
was kind enough to let me borrow the letters. Through them, I came to
know and admire Jerry. The letters were a window into his life as a
fighter pilot. They were also a window into his soul. In a letter dated
July 20, 1943, Jerry wrote the following in response to his grandmother,
who had written to remind him to live gospel standards:
“If
ever there was a place where a fellow could lose his ideals, this is
it. But I’m trying hard and succeeding too, I think. I’m not letting
these fellows around here lower my standards. I know what is right and
wrong and I’ll stick by it no matter what.”
In
his letters, Jerry showed special love and concern for his mom. In one
letter to her, he wrote: “I’m a pretty dog-gone lucky guy to have a
family like I’ve got. That old stuff of absence makes the heart grow
fonder is just about right. You did real well with my brother and
sister, Mom, and I only hope I can be worthy of them and you and Pop.
I’m mighty proud of Gene and Ruth. I wish we could all be together
again, if only for just a little while.”
A Forgotten Journal and the “Three Musketeers”
The
letters opened another door in my journey. They revealed that Jerry had
three close friends: Cliff Lawrence, Bob Sharp, and Don Evans. I had no
idea if they were still alive. If they were, they’d be over 90 years
old.
I
found the address of a Cliff Lawrence living in Bountiful, Utah. After
writing him a letter, I was thrilled to receive a phone call confirming
that he was the same Cliff mentioned in Jerry’s letters. I visited Cliff
and his wife in their home, and he told me about the day he and Jerry
went together to volunteer for military service.
And
then something amazing happened. Cliff’s wife handed me a small journal
and asked me to open it. As I did, I saw the name “Jerry Kelly” written
on the cover page. I was holding a journal written by Jerry in 1942.
She had stumbled across the journal only a few days earlier while
cleaning out a drawer. She and Cliff had no memory of ever seeing the
journal before, but somehow it had been preserved for more than 70
years. It seemed to me that the Spirit—and perhaps Jerry himself (from
the other side of the veil)—was guiding me in my efforts.
After
much research and persistence, I made contact with Bob Sharp, who lives
in California. I flew to California and had a wonderful visit with Bob
and his wife. He showed me photos of Jerry and shared inspiring stories
that demonstrated Jerry’s Christlike character.
Bob
flew in another plane on Jerry’s final mission. As they taxied next to
each other on the runway, their eyes met and Jerry waved good-bye to
Bob. It was the last time they would see each other in this life. He
told me not a day has passed when he hasn’t thought about Jerry.
At
the end of our visit, Bob made us some root beer floats. I remembered
that Jerry wrote about how he and Bob would finish each day at flight
school by drinking root beer floats together. Tears filled my eyes, and I
had the feeling that Jerry was there with us.
Bob
told me about Don Evans, who served with Bob and Jerry in the same
flight squadron. The three of them were all Mormons from Utah and were
known as the “Three Musketeers.” Bob said that Don had passed away in
1999 but that his son Ken was writing a book on his dad’s service in
World War II and would love to talk to a member of Jerry’s family. Ken
and I have become good friends as we have worked together to learn more
about the “Three Musketeers.” Ken told me that when his dad served as a
stake president, he would share stories about Jerry in Church talks. The
stories showed that Jerry was an example of following the Savior rather
than the crowd.
Jerry’s Name Lives On
From
these meetings, I learned another fact that increased my respect for my
great-uncle. Cliff and Bob had each named a son after Jerry, as did my
own grandfather. All three men did this to ensure they would never
forget him.
I
will always be grateful for my journey that led me to my great-uncle
Jerry. This journey was not just about learning details of a person’s
life. It was about learning to know and love a family member—and the
journey has changed me.
Those
who have gone before us can still greatly bless our lives, but only if
we don’t forget them. My great-uncle Jerry has now become one of my most
powerful role models.
Like
Jerry, many people who lived on this earth never married or never had
children. They have no direct descendants to honor their memory. We need
to learn their stories so they can be told. Like those who have
descendants, they too deserve to be remembered.
Coming
to know and love this member of my family has given new meaning to the
scriptural promise, “And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the
children, and the heart of the children to their fathers” (Malachi 4:6).
On
July 16, 2014, our family visited Jerry’s grave in the Salt Lake City
cemetery to celebrate his 90th birthday. We talked about how we’ve been
shaped by this family member we’ve never met. Jerry may be gone, but he
is not forgotten. I believe he is grateful to be remembered.
*****
I then shared with the kids this amazing letter written by my kid's great-great-great Grandfather, Samuel Whitmore Price to his son Samuel Earlton Price while serving his mission in Northern California. We learn a lot about this man SW Price through this letter. (Which I just added to his name for anyone to access on familysearch.org...so awesome the technology we have at our fingertips that all can access). The kids came up with a great list:
- We learn that he is busy and happy preaching the gospel
- he is like all of us and gets "annoyed" sometimes when we have to be obedient to those placed over us :)
- we learn that through this obedience he has learned to follow Christ
- he values and wants his son to put his house in order (to have his family pray together, taking turns)
- he values keeping the Sabbath day holy and taking the family to church
- the importance of paying tithing and fast offerings
- he knows to keep all the commandments in order to expect the Lord's blessing
- that he was $27,500 in debt when he was asked to go on a mission and never expected to have any money to go on a mission with, but he "lived all of God's laws and he has blessed me for doing so".
This man's testimony strengthened mine. He has a legacy to remember and stories to share. So grateful his posterity just heard a little of it. I'm excited to learn more about him and many others! Here's a copy of the letter:


So inspirational! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute. This is what makes genealogy and family history so much fun. Are you sure that Jerry Kelly isn't a relative of your family? Don't you have Kelly's on your dad's side? I believe we still have that letter from SW Price. Thanks for sharing. Love to all!
ReplyDelete