Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Colonial Girls

Every year our school does a Colonial Faire to coincide with their 13 Colonies history unit.
  It's a wonderful day, complete with activities, crafts, lunch, dancing, and even some learning. 
It's completely done by parent volunteers and each time I am touched by those willing to give so much of their time to enrich our children's lives.  
I was there as the historian and happy to experience it with these two cute girls!!
In the morning they visited the apothecary, wrote with feather pens in a Colonial classroom and learned about Colonial life.  This included milking a goat.  I still can't believe both of these girls did it, but they did!!  Even successfully getting milk!
 
They also washed clothes on a wash board.
I wonder how long Katelyn would have this cute smile if we had to do all our laundry this way?!?
For a morning snack they had cornbread and homemade butter. 
Megan liked this and couldn't believe how easy it was and yummy!
Before lunch they did some of the traditional dances of the time that they've been practicing at school.  After lunch they visited stations quilting, 
 
the tin shop,
making corn husk dolls (a favorite for both of them),
 
and made some sweet smelling, pomander balls with cloves and oranges.
 These two never dress alike anymore and so it was especially fun for me that a friend had TWO matching dresses that we could borrow. 
 They looked darling and I'm so glad to share these experiences and memories with them!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails