As Aubrey's 13th birthday was quickly approaching I remembered a darling idea
that I had filed away in my mental "want to do this when my kids are this
age file"...a teenage years advice book.
I do not take credit for coming up with this fabulous idea.
Instead it was my darling cousin-in-law (that sounds funny, but she married my
husband's cousin), Michelle, who had made one for her son a few years ago.
She said the idea came to her as pure inspiration one day.
Thank goodness we can share great ideas with each other!
that I had filed away in my mental "want to do this when my kids are this
age file"...a teenage years advice book.
I do not take credit for coming up with this fabulous idea.
Instead it was my darling cousin-in-law (that sounds funny, but she married my
husband's cousin), Michelle, who had made one for her son a few years ago.
She said the idea came to her as pure inspiration one day.
Thank goodness we can share great ideas with each other!
And so I began by writing a letter to our immediate family, close relatives, family friends, her sing and dance teacher, piano teacher, acting director, favorite school teacher, and church youth leaders.
I asked them to share their best advice for the teenage years. What did they wish they had known or done differently? What were some of their favorite memories or how did they learn and grow from their hardest moments?
As the letters poured in (about 30 of them) I would sit at my computer and cry. I was so overwhelmed with the outpouring of love. I was overwhelmed with the wisdom that was shared. I was overwhelmed with the deeply personal stories. I was mostly overwhelmed by the amazing people Aubrey has in her life, wonderful family, friends, ward members, and a community of people who want her to succeed.
Here's the book cover, done in her favorite color combination mint, coral, and navy:
I asked them to share their best advice for the teenage years. What did they wish they had known or done differently? What were some of their favorite memories or how did they learn and grow from their hardest moments?
As the letters poured in (about 30 of them) I would sit at my computer and cry. I was so overwhelmed with the outpouring of love. I was overwhelmed with the wisdom that was shared. I was overwhelmed with the deeply personal stories. I was mostly overwhelmed by the amazing people Aubrey has in her life, wonderful family, friends, ward members, and a community of people who want her to succeed.
Here's the book cover, done in her favorite color combination mint, coral, and navy:
I added a few quotes, meaningful photographs, and 2014 youth
scripture theme in between some of the advice pages to break it up a little.
scripture theme in between some of the advice pages to break it up a little.
Here's two examples of the advice pages:
I ordered it from my favorite printer, blurb.com and again was so, so happy with the quality results.
I ordered it from my favorite printer, blurb.com and again was so, so happy with the quality results.
I was a little surprised (I don't know why...she's my daughter and the "cup always runneth over") that Aubrey got emotional when she opened it, started to thumb through it and realized what it was. She's spent a lot of time going through it and thanked those that contributed. Plus, I got a page long typed thank you note...yes those are the moments that make the time and effort of a birthday gift like this very worth it.
It is my hope that those days when Aubrey doesn't want to hear again from Dad and Mom that she will go open her book and see what some other people that love and support her suggest.
I'm excited for this stage of life. I love Aubrey and can't wait to see where she takes LIFE!!
I'm excited for this stage of life. I love Aubrey and can't wait to see where she takes LIFE!!








You never cease to amaze me. I wish we lived closer. I really am going to plan to come visit you for a couple of days. Maybe in the winter? I just want to watch you in action, I have LOTS I can learn from you. xx
ReplyDeleteOh, how blessed we are to have this angel in our lives. Happy birthday my dearest Aubrey! You are most definitely THE BEST! All my love!
ReplyDeleteIt turned out SO CUTE! I'm so glad she loved it!
ReplyDeletei LOVE this, think I'll make it a Christmas gift!!!
ReplyDeleteLove, Love, Love this idea! I think I may try to do this too. I hope you don't mind me copying the GREAT idea!
ReplyDeleteWe are blessed to be part of your extended family. What a cherished possession this will always be for Aubrey.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to share the idea with our immediate family.
With love, Walt & Eileen Petersen - cousins - now working in the San Salvador El Salvador Temple
Aubrey, you are such a special girl.... like your mom. What a great gift this book is, from so many people that care and love you. Read it often and the advice will help keep you focused on the important things in this life.Love you TONS> I miss you. Grandma
ReplyDelete