My friend, Paige, lost her daughter, Heidi, last week.
It was very sudden as barely 18 years old, Heidi collapsed with a blood clot
one morning and was gone the next night.
Watching this "from the outside" has been sad, and really I hesitate to even say that because I have no idea of the excruciating pain this sweet family must be feeling.
And so I just want to share my perspective through my lens.
I was asked to take a few photos at the funeral for the family.
It's a little awkward.
Really who wants their picture taken at a funeral?
It almost feels inappropriate.
However, having photographed at a funeral before I know that these
moments are beautiful and actually almost sacred.
I know that I would want photographs of the day.
I was willing to do anything to contribute and help in any small way.
And so, at the conclusion of a wonderful memorial where there were many
tears and many laughs shared, where we were reminded of the only true source of peace in our Savior, Jesus Christ and His plan...I quietly ducked out before the closing song.
I put myself out side where I could see faces.
Even though seeing my strong, amazing, friend Paige's pained face made me hurt inside and I wondered at that moment if I would be able to do what I had been asked.
The closing prayer ended and the family came out, following their sweet daughter's body.
Heidi's five sisters following her wearing her favorite color, purple.
Among other friends and family, Heidi's two brother-in-laws and her only brother, at only 14 years old
being placed and instructed on how to carry the casket.
And then this strong, righteous father, Brian, gathered his girls.
His wife snuggled at his side.
And his five daughters, the youngest only ten years old and the oldest expecting their first grand-daughter.
It was silent.
It was beautiful.
These boys and men who loved Heidi loaded her body into the car.
And then this amazing family turned to the almost 1,100 people in attendance
who were now standing outside, at every exit of the church building.
They greeted, hugged, cried with, loved, laughed and even strengthened them for over 90 minutes.
who were now standing outside, at every exit of the church building.
They greeted, hugged, cried with, loved, laughed and even strengthened them for over 90 minutes.
Because I was taking photographs I witnessed many beautiful moments.
Moments where Paige literally sunk into some of their arms,
listening to their words of wisdom from personal experience.
Moments where Brian greeted friends and Air Force colleges will such gratitude,
thanking them for coming and supporting their family at this difficult time.
Long, heartfelt hugs.
Like the scriptures remind us, moments when we need to mourn with those that mourn.
Moments of comfort. Literally comforting those that stand in need of comfort.
I loved witnessing the little moments of love towards Heidi's siblings.
Some friends had made (and sold to contribute towards funeral expenses) bracelets, a purple ribbon tied to a washer, hand stamped with Heidi's name.
Moments of encouragement.
I loved the hands.
By many, many people. Connecting as they spoke and listened.
Wrapped around each other.
Just as our Savior wraps His arms around us as we struggle to make sense sometimes of life's challenges.
We are strengthened. We are comforted. We have hope. We feel peace as we turn to Him.
It was a beautiful thing to have witnessed, to have photographed and I am changed from the experience.
Like the scriptures remind us, moments when we need to mourn with those that mourn.
Moments of comfort. Literally comforting those that stand in need of comfort.
I loved witnessing the little moments of love towards Heidi's siblings.
Some friends had made (and sold to contribute towards funeral expenses) bracelets, a purple ribbon tied to a washer, hand stamped with Heidi's name.
Moments of encouragement.
As her friends and family loved her you could almost see it in her countenance. Is was as if this love and comfort was filling her soul and she was able to share it with those who really needed it that day.
There were many who were angry and frustrated. Confused. Hurt.
But watching Paige give them hope that indeed we will see Heidi again
and God has a plan for each of us was amazing.
It was my favorite part of this experience.
I truly could see how literally we can strengthen and support others through life's,
sometimes seemingly unfair, difficulties.
By many, many people. Connecting as they spoke and listened.
Wrapped around each other.
Just as our Savior wraps His arms around us as we struggle to make sense sometimes of life's challenges.
We are strengthened. We are comforted. We have hope. We feel peace as we turn to Him.
It was a beautiful thing to have witnessed, to have photographed and I am changed from the experience.



























Wow, Rachelle. You really captured this beautifully. I've seen funerals photographed before and can't imagine how difficult that job would be, but also how important and like you said - sacred. Thank you for sharing this experience, since I wasn't able to be their to support their family.
ReplyDeleteHow thoughtful, and what a beautiful tribute. The tears just rolled down my face as a I read this and looked at the beautiful images you captured. I would never have thought about doing this for someone, but perhaps that is a service I will render in the future.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post! Love these pictures. Tears. THANKS Rachelle for sharing your incredible testimony about the Savior. I love the gospel. May God continue to bless this sweet family
ReplyDeleteRachelle, you did such a beautiful job photographing this family experience. I can't even imagine losing a child at such a young age--and so quickly. Thank you for your wonderful example. xo
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post, beautiful pictures. I am sure they will be treasured by your friend's family.
ReplyDeleteYou did such a beautiful job capturing those tender moments.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful, Rachelle! Thanks for sharing!! You did an amazing job at capturing the moments and at bearing your testimony through them. Love you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute to Heidi and what a marvelous memory you have given to her family. Thanks for sharing your talents with all of us.
ReplyDelete