We've had our trip to Thailand booked since November and as the time gets closer we are both getting more and more excited. My to-do list seems to be growing as well! I've gotten my shots (including two in the bum!!), two great new bags from Eddie Bauer, travel books, lists for the in-laws with schedules, car-pools, etc. and been doubling meals like crazy for the freezer. We have got some great things planned including a day with elephants, a Thai cooking school, and lots of beach time. Now, if I can just force myself to go up in the air thousands of feet above the ocean...if only it was around the corner! :)
But I'm also working on a little project of taking some supplies to an orphanage we are spending a day at. This started when I did a spotlight for a mom on Powerofmoms.com here. Allyson and I began emailing in early February and spending time in an orphanage has always been a dream of mine. I was so jealous when my brother in law served his LDS mission in Romania and got to spend time with these darling babies who so needed to be loved on. Anyway...I digress. Allyson has taken her five kidos to Cambodia, Thailand, India (where they are currently), and Spain this year and is having an amazing experience. Someday...that would be amazing!! Reading of her families experiences is so inspiring, what an opportunity!! You can read her experiences on her blog, here.
But, long story short. Tyler and I will be spending our last day here at this orphanage, Home Life Thailand. Some of the supplies listed on the left (toiletries and food) we will be buying once we arrive, but we are also taking a bag full of stuff from here. If you are local and would like to be part of the cause, (I know I'm always looking for ways for my kids to see a bigger picture than our beautiful suburbia) feel free to drop off any of the following on our porch. If you don't live close, but still want to help, please email me. Here's what we're taking (some of the things Allyson knows they love) with us:
art and craft supplies (markers, crayons, paints,
coloring books, foam stickers, beads with embroidery floss, button crafts)
nail polish
hair bows (we're doing a girl's get-together and making flower clips by the dozens)
flip-flops
new soccer ball (deflated)
legos (small boxes, around $5)

Can't wait to hear the stories you will have when you get home from Thailand. I am so excited for you. What an amazing woman Allyson must be to know her children well enough to take them into such destitute situations. I simply can't imagine the growth they have experienced in serving others in these proverish countries. What an experience! I thank God for all the multitudes of life I enjoy especially now after reading of Allyson's adventures. Thank you for sharing! Love to all!
ReplyDeleteWow. First of all, have fun in Thailand!
ReplyDeleteAnd secondly, thanks for the link to your friend's blog. I needed a therapeutic cry while reading about their experiences in the leper colony. I needed that perspective tonight.