I love working with the Cub Scouts right now.
They are such fun boys and I've got great leaders to work with too.
This week was our Scout Blue and Gold Dinner, Western Style!
This week was our Scout Blue and Gold Dinner, Western Style!
First, the invite:
I found some fun digital scrap-booking elements that we printed as 4x6 prints and my super-creative friend Carolyn sewed the denim pockets for them to go into.
We had fun gingham table-clothes (complete with ruffles around the bottom), lanterns, hats, and a few other Western pieces for centerpieces.
![]() | |
| Really they were all the same red, just excuse the funky lighting here :) |
We had also had the boys make "wanted" posters in their den meetings a few weeks before.
I love how they turned out! The boys were creative with the great things they listed "to be wanted for" and huge reward amounts.
We started our night out with the flag ceremony, awards, and I gave a small history of scouting and why we celebrate with an annual Scout birthday party, the Blue and Gold dinner.
After that it was simple, buffet style, western dinner. We had barbecue, pulled-pork sandwiches with swiss cheese and pickles on rolls. In addition, there were vegetable platters, fruit, chips, and lemonade. It was tasty and cute, (we served the pork in dutch ovens).
While dinner was finishing the leaders put on a small skit, the Farm Chinigans!! If you've never seen "chinigans" before, they really are funny and you can imagine how the cub scouts loved it!
I was the sheep and we sang, "Old McDonald".
After we played our game, put on by the Webelos.
Better not guess wrong, you may get a thimble of water thrown in your face!!
And the cupcakes...I had asked a talented cub scout Mom to run wild with our Western Theme.
She did darling sheriff stars, cacti, camp-fires, and horse-shoes! They were a hit!
It was a great night and I'm so grateful for the these wonderful leaders (we missed a few in this pic)
I am blessed to work with. They are awesome!
I love how they turned out! The boys were creative with the great things they listed "to be wanted for" and huge reward amounts.
We started our night out with the flag ceremony, awards, and I gave a small history of scouting and why we celebrate with an annual Scout birthday party, the Blue and Gold dinner.
After that it was simple, buffet style, western dinner. We had barbecue, pulled-pork sandwiches with swiss cheese and pickles on rolls. In addition, there were vegetable platters, fruit, chips, and lemonade. It was tasty and cute, (we served the pork in dutch ovens).
While dinner was finishing the leaders put on a small skit, the Farm Chinigans!! If you've never seen "chinigans" before, they really are funny and you can imagine how the cub scouts loved it!
I was the sheep and we sang, "Old McDonald".
After we played our game, put on by the Webelos.
Better not guess wrong, you may get a thimble of water thrown in your face!!
And the cupcakes...I had asked a talented cub scout Mom to run wild with our Western Theme.
She did darling sheriff stars, cacti, camp-fires, and horse-shoes! They were a hit!
It was a great night and I'm so grateful for the these wonderful leaders (we missed a few in this pic)
I am blessed to work with. They are awesome!










Now if that was how any Cub Scout activity was that I have ever attended--I would have a completely different opinion of the Scout program! Very WELL DONE! What Cub Scout family wouldn't want to attend a Blue and Gold like that????? Awesome.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun! Everything looks just darling and so much fun.. What lucky boys to have such creative leaders. Love all your blogs it keeps us close to all of you. Love GMA
ReplyDeleteYOU ARE SOOO TALENTED, RACHELLE!!! What a fun night...love the "cowboy" theme! What great fun!!!
ReplyDeletecute idea! must have been a fun night!
ReplyDeleteAwesome idea!! We are planning on doing a western theme this year- will definitely be using a lot of these ideas!
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute idea! We are doing a western theme this year too so definitely will be using some of your ideas. Saw your Power of Moms badge on your sidebar-- love Power of Mom's, I am part of the board :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic ideas!!! Where did you get the farm animals to go on your head for the Old MacDonald chinigans?
ReplyDelete