Friday, December 30, 2011

Idaho

After coming upon a closed I-80 early in our road trip and with the extra time that added to our trip, we were hungry and oh so grateful to arrive at Grandma's.  My mom had a yummy dinner on the table, we quickly ate and put on what winter clothes we own.  My dad was less than satisfied with our California cold weather wardrobe!  My parents and brothers quickly gathered up (most of the rest of the house) warmer coats, gloves, hats, etc. and we were headed out in the ten degree weather to "play".  Yes, in these cold states people actually go out in the freezing weather.  Life goes on.  My dad keeps reminding me, his "Californian wimp", that I too used to be used to these extreme temperatures and do fine.  And really kids don't care.  Well, until they reach "the point" where they are delirious and only cry and whine.  
Anyway, I digress.  We headed out to the ranch where my local extended family was gathering to play broom hockey on the frozen canal and roast marshmallows in a large fire.  The kids had a great time sliding on the ice and we had a great time visiting and even got in some sliding too!  The chunks of ice were huge!
Even the "big boys" took some rides on a huge slab of eight inch thick ice.
 Yes, I know the hat and coat are ugly, but who cares!  I was so warm!
 It was SO slick!
 The kids warmed up by the fire and took a little break.
It looks a little strange because there is NO snow.  So my brother, Brian made up for our lack of traditional sled rides behind Grandpa's horse and pulled the kids on the frozen grass behind his three-wheeler.  They were thrilled!
We did get some riding in.  It's always a hit!
 There's something so beautiful about my Dad and Matthew riding through the "amber waves of grain", love it!
 My dad even showed Andrew some of his winter work, including rescuing a cow out of a frozen water trough right before we got there and chopping away at the ice so the livestock can get their water.  And by the way, I just noticed the massive pile of manure in the background...hmmm that may be my next consequence of choice.  I could threaten hours of moving that for misbehavior!!
It was a wonderful trip with late night games, an afternoon at the indoor swimming pool, lunch at our new favorite greasy spoon, a few movies at our own personal, private the local theater (where we are the only ones in the theater), good laughs and wonderful family memories.

2 comments:

  1. Looks so fun. My kids would have been in heaven! I, on the other hand, just would have been freezing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always looks like you have so much fun in Jerome. I love the picture of Kristen belly flopping on the ice. What a blast! I'm afraid if I took one step on the ice, I would instantly be on my behind. It's great to know that the kids get to experience "country" life outside of suburbia California. Your family looks great! Love to all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails