We all have our favorite "types" of books and I am drawn to a good parenting book!
The best ones provide a sense of normalcy (what I'm feeling and dealing with is normal, right?!) and also give realistic ideas and solutions. I have learned so much from other mothers (and fathers) and so appreciate their insight.
However, that being said I also believe in most situations (with homework under her belt) that a child's mother knows best. I have had even my pediatrician tell me to "follow my gut". I am the only "expert" on my children. I know them best and often have a feeling of what is going to be best for them.
I've had a few friends lately ask me which parenting books I have enjoyed the most,
so here's a list of my favorites.
The best ones provide a sense of normalcy (what I'm feeling and dealing with is normal, right?!) and also give realistic ideas and solutions. I have learned so much from other mothers (and fathers) and so appreciate their insight.
However, that being said I also believe in most situations (with homework under her belt) that a child's mother knows best. I have had even my pediatrician tell me to "follow my gut". I am the only "expert" on my children. I know them best and often have a feeling of what is going to be best for them.
I've had a few friends lately ask me which parenting books I have enjoyed the most,
so here's a list of my favorites.
Favorite parenting books:
1. "Love and Logic - Magic for Early Childhood (Practical Parenting for Birth to Six Years)" by Jim Fay and Charles Fay. This is my all-time favorite practical, hands-on book. I have also taken their six week course with Tyler which was excellent for discussing and interpreting with others the principles. There is a book for older children as well, but I haven't read it yet.
2. "The Parenting Breakthrough" by Merilee Boyack. The catch line says "a real life plan to teach your kids to work, save $ and be truly independent." I love this book and we follow her "plan" and guidelines for teaching our children specific skills at each age and also her idea for allowance. I also love, love, love her family mottos! This is a great one.
3. "Five Love Languages for Children" by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell. This was kind of an eye opener. I love the adult version and it has been helpful to me in many relationships, however I was surprised at how my children (even as young as they are) have their own love languages. Really insightful.
4. "Seven Habit of Highly Effective Families" by Steven Covey. You can never go wrong with Covey. Always great ideas and follow through examples for success.
5. "The Power of Positive Parenting" by Glen Latham. Truly the POWER in being positive. A wonderful synopsis by my college roommate found here: http://tendermercies1.blogspot.com/2011/03/power-of-positive-parenting.html
6. "How to Talk to Your Child About Sex" by Richard and Linda Eyre. Our kids are going to learn about sex from someone, I sure hope it's me. This book (along with two others) was helpful for Tyler and I talking to our children as it's been appropriate. Great resource.
I am currently reading (and enjoying) "10 Habits of Happy Mothers - Reclaiming our passion, purpose, and sanity" by Meg Meeker. On my nightstand: "How to Talk so your Kids will Listen and Listen so your Kids will Talk" by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlush. I've only read a small amount, but have heard wonderful things. Appears to be great! Also, waiting for me to read is, "Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child" by John Gottman and Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives" by Richard Swenson.
Favorite Mothering books:
1. "I am a Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. This darling girl (past Good Morning America anchor) has a wonderful way of sharing stories that truly touch and motivate you. I read this at an especially significant time and it changed my life. Love this one.
2. "It takes a Mother to Raise a Village" by Colleen Down. A light, fun read. Yes, others can help and let's hope they do, but NO one replaces a Mother. Have enjoyed re-reading this one over the years.
3. "A Joyful Mother of Children" by Linda Eyre. You can never go wrong with the Eyre's. This book has chapters including Simplify- Not Super Mom, just Happy Mom, Remind Yourself how much Fun you're Having, and Get Lost and Find Yourself. I go to this one occasionally for a "pick-me up".

You must have been reading my mind! I have been meaning to ask you about this for a while. Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely pick up a few of these!
ReplyDeleteI love to see and hear about the books you are reading and/or interested in. I have often taken your advice and read your suggestions. I think there is a reason you are in my life. I have learned so much from you and your example.
ReplyDeleteThanks for just being you. Love to all!
Great list, I need to check out the few I have not read yet. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteLOVE number three! (Beautiful Blog!)
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to go and pick up a few new books! thanks so much for all the suggestions and the great chat the other day :)
ReplyDelete