Monday, June 20, 2011

Did you happen to catch Oprah?

Years ago (high school with my mom and sister mostly) I used to watch Oprah a lot.  For various reasons I haven't seen but a handful of shows in the last fifteen years.  I don't know if you happened to catch Oprah's final show, but it was well worth the time.  It was the only episode I caught all year.  However, I'd venture to say maybe one of her best.  It was a beautiful tribute.  A love letter, to her audience sharing the things she had learned from doing the Oprah show for 25 years.  Honestly, I started watching it while folding laundry, pushed pause, put my laundry aside and picked up a pen and paper to take some notes.  I loved it.  She was humble. She was inspiring.  She was real.

There are three things I want to share because they resonate with me.  I believe them and try to live them.  First of us, each of us has our own platform, our own circle of influence.  And although that platform is different (for example most of us it won't be on a stage everyday in front of millions) we each have the same POWER to love, to forgive, to serve, to listen, and to heal those around us.  This is how I feel as a mother.  I have my own little ducks here that I've got to keep all in a row (seriously it's more like herding cats to do this, but that's a post for another day :)).  It's my passion, it's my delight, it's my life's work, and my joy.  How grateful I am for the opportunity to do "my work" in this life.
Second, "You are responsible for your life and the energy you create for yourself and give to others".  This was an amazing experience she shared from an interview with Jill Taylor who wrote a book called My Stroke of Insight.  I loved this and have since written in on a chalk board in my home and talked with Tyler and my kids about it.  I am hoping myself to be more aware of the energy I create and bring to others. 
Last, but not least, have you ever been around someone who is so OK with who he or she is that it is liberating for you?  I have.  Oprah shared a letter that a viewer had written.  Her words are something I have in my planner.  She said, "watching you be yourself makes me want to be more of myself".  Love that.  It is powerful to be real, to be ourselves.  It liberates others to be themselves and hopefully their best selves. 

In addition, I loved what she said about validation (everyone wants to be seen, heard, and listened to), about God (yes the same God that you and I believe in) and his grace.

From a woman with so much influence, reaching millions, it was powerful and inspirational.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched Oprah for years, but I'm sorry I missed this one. I have a friend who liberates me. She is amazing and I stand in awe of all she is able to accomplish. I'm not sure she even knows she is a friend, I often watch her from a distance. diligently doing her thing and helping those in need and seeming always to be enjoying it. One of these days I may let her know just how much she means to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Oprah! She was indeed an influencial woman. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails