Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mary Janes shoes and white wedding dresses

So it's been a little busy.  Spring is always that way I think.  You know there's the "lull" after the holidays and then life picks up again at FULL speed.  I've got posts I want to do from Andrew's baptism (we had the best day and it was so wonderful to have our family and friends celebrate with us) and also getting new carpet, but the TV broke (just completely lost it's picture) so we're viewing what little TV we do watch (a show or two for the kids) on my nice computer monitor and I wouldn't even attempt to adjust any photographs on this one, so...they will wait until our TV arrives on Monday.  We won't talk about the fact that in the last ten days (in addition to the baptism, family in town, and all that involves) we've turned the entire house upside down and gotten all new carpet, replaced a toilet, entry way light, oven ignitor (also just went out one day, had even made baked oatmeal for breakfast and was attempting banana bread in the mid-afternoon), and also all the bathroom pipes under the sink...yikes!

So, amidst all of that, I was running Aubrey to play practice today and the studio happens to be next to a wedding dress shop.  After dropping her off I got back in my car (facing the windows) and looked up on this scene:  a young woman trying on a pretty, white wedding dress.  The sleeves were short, the bodice was beaded, the skirt a heavy, simple satin.  Her hair was a deep red and although I couldn't see her entire face, her profile was beautiful.  Her Mom's back was to me.  It caught me so off guard as I immediately became emotional.  It was like a blast to the future.  How must that mother be feeling?  Is she wondering how this day has finally arrived?  Is she crying tears of happiness?  Is she excited for her daughter and her new found love?  Is she apprehensive about teaching her enough?  What will her daughter's new married life be like?  Did she have the chance to hug her and love her as often as she's wanted?  Does she have any regrets?  Is she ready for this next stage of life?  Is she sad about leaving the last stage of motherhood?

I can only wonder how this mother was feeling and how I will feel when my girls swirl around in a wedding dress.  Will I be crying? Of course, that's a given.  Will I feel that sense of accomplishment not in a job being done (mothering is never over), but in a job well done in progress?  I hope so.  That is a moment I look forward to.  I don't want it here now.  I want to enjoy my now.  I still want to watch my little red head run in to practice the part of Narnia's Lucy  (past the wedding dress shop) in her black mary jane shoes.

5 comments:

  1. This might be my favorite post yet!!! I shed a tear...thinking of beautiful Aubrey! She is such a special daughter of our Heavenly Father and you both, Rachelle and Tyler, are doing a GREAT job raising her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaah!! I am reading this on the eve of my Leah's 10th birthday and wonder how it can be that ten years have already gone by. Just amazing. I am glad I get to keep her around for many more years. I wonder all tose things too. I know I make mistakes but I truly hope my kids remember more good than bad. I threw a big friend party at my house today and Leah got her ears pierced. Super happy, exciting day for her. I have to say again like I have said before that you are one of the best mothers I have known and I am so grateful for your incredible example to me. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sent chills up my back! Treasure these days and moments before she is twirling around in her beautiful white wedding dress. What a precious moment to share with the rest of us! You are a wonderful mother and have done a wonderful job raising the beautiful spirits you have been blessed with. How lucky for them to have a mother like you. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails