Sunday, January 23, 2011

My favorite field trip

I've done a few field trips in my day, even a few repeat field trips, like three hundred times to the pumpkin patch, right?  This one was my personal favorite.  One of the parents at our school is a KCRA3 camera man.  He gave us a behind the scenes, fantastic tour.  We even got to sit through a "live feed", cut in to the Today show.  
We met the darling meteorologist, Britta Merwin, who answered the kid's many questions.  Most of them wanted to know what the most embarrassing moment she'd ever had on TV, had she ever burped, how often does she make mistakes?  
 Then since Britta said she couldn't wear green as to not blend in with the "green screen", Aubrey asked if she got to choose her own clothes.  It was great! 
I asked about her education and background.  She considers herself a scientist, taking as many college math classes as an engineer.  She does all of her own information gathering and reading, completely coming up with her own weather reports.  Yes, she has a beautiful face, but I was so thrilled to see her talk to the kids about the importance of doing well in math and science and being totally OK with making mistakes.  She told them she makes mistakes EVERY day and tries to learn from them.  Several of the ten year old girls made comments about how pretty she was and how much make-up she had on, I hope some of what she said soaked in.

Even Aubrey and I got a chance on the set.
 What a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Aubrey - that looks like fun. I wish that we were in the same class so we could have gone together! love Emmelyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like a fun field trip. Kind of makes me wish I could have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun field trip! So, Aubrey, do you now want to be a news and/or weather reporter? What cute pictures, especially the one with you and your mom on the set! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails