Mary "kept all these things and pondered them in her heart" (Luke 2:19). We spent a our evening learning about Mary and what she might have pondered. We then reflected on if we could have been one person there that night who would it have been and why. We took a few moments to share these and also write them down. I love my kid's perspective on this. So sweet, so tender.
Mary
reminds us that we need to find a moment to ponder the events of that sacred night in Bethlehem. In that moment we celebrate the miracle of Christ's birth, and the gift that Heaven gave.
***
Last night we talked about Joseph. Rather than sharing the specifics from our night I am going to share this painting. A few years ago the artist, Roget Loveless was in our local church book store and I bought a small print autographed print of this. I love how he uniquely put Joseph holding the baby Jesus. I'm sure there was a lot of that. And I love what he had to say about it:
"During quiet times when I think of the Savior's birth, I am truly humbled by it's sacred nature and by the events that occurred both before and after. I think of Mary holding the infant surrounded by wise men and shepherds that have come from far away to honor and pay respect.
But when I think of Joseph, I think of a young man that exercised great faith in a difficult situation prior to the birth. I think of a man who loved Mary very much and was more concerned with her needs than that of her own.
I chose to portray Joseph taking a turn nurturing the newborn infant while Mary was able to get some much needed rest. The only earthly witnesses to his kindnesses are the animals found in the manger, who seem to sense the divine nature of his goodness.
"In the Hands of the Father: reflects the great responsibility that Joseph felt, but at the same time was able to draw strength from being in the hands of someone much greater than his own."
-Roger Loveless
Joseph
represents the desires of our hearts. He reminds us of the secret acts of Christmas kindness given with sacrifice and love to the broken, the weary, the lost, or the lonely.
***
The next night we talked about the angels. After reading some scriptures and words to favorite hymns, plus what the author had to say and since we had already done our caroling earlier in the month, we were super excited to go to our mall and participate in a spontaneous Hallelujah Choir. Unfortunately, about 5,000 other people also heard about it and were headed there too. It was canceled and the mall was evacuated. It's OK, we still had a fun night together stopping for hot chocolate and singing carols together.
The Angel
embodies a heart that runneth over with good tidings and great joy of the season. The angel is a reminder that the anticipation of good things to come should fill our hearts with warmth overflowing.
***
Next we learned more about the Shepherd. We had a great time making candy cane cookies representing the Shepherd's staff. With sugar cookie dough we divided it in half, coloring one half red and flavoring with some peppermint extract. The kids then rolled them out and twisted them. Note how careful Katelyn is being, they were beautiful (and tasty) cookies!
I don't have a picture of the final product, but look here on the counter to see how cute they turned out.
Have I ever mentioned how much my Katelyn LOVES to cook. I think someday she may have her own show.
The Shepherd
symbolizes a testimony within, an inner conviction that we have come to know Christ. The Shepherd is a reminder for us to come closer to the Lord, now and with haste, and then to share our testimony with others.
***
Next we learned more about the wise men. They remind us of our search to know the Lord. I love what Emily Freeman suggests about the meaning behind the gifts they brought. I am so excited next year to give it a try around here!
The Wise Men
exemplify the journey each of us takes as we seek the Lord. They remind us that as we draw closer to Him, we will be led to continue our journey another way.
***
The next piece of the nativity is the lamb. Symbolic of many teachings of Christ, the lamb often represents a true follower. Among other things we talked about how interesting it is that Thanksgiving comes before Christmas. Maybe a season of gratitude always precedes a season of giving. Gratitude prepares our hearts. We took some time to ponder and share the tender mercies the Lord has granted us this year. How blessed we are.
The Lamb
reminds us to prepare our hearts to recognize the hand of the Lord in our life, and then, in that instant, give thanks.
***
***
Last night we talked about Joseph. Rather than sharing the specifics from our night I am going to share this painting. A few years ago the artist, Roget Loveless was in our local church book store and I bought a small print autographed print of this. I love how he uniquely put Joseph holding the baby Jesus. I'm sure there was a lot of that. And I love what he had to say about it:
"During quiet times when I think of the Savior's birth, I am truly humbled by it's sacred nature and by the events that occurred both before and after. I think of Mary holding the infant surrounded by wise men and shepherds that have come from far away to honor and pay respect.
But when I think of Joseph, I think of a young man that exercised great faith in a difficult situation prior to the birth. I think of a man who loved Mary very much and was more concerned with her needs than that of her own.
I chose to portray Joseph taking a turn nurturing the newborn infant while Mary was able to get some much needed rest. The only earthly witnesses to his kindnesses are the animals found in the manger, who seem to sense the divine nature of his goodness.
"In the Hands of the Father: reflects the great responsibility that Joseph felt, but at the same time was able to draw strength from being in the hands of someone much greater than his own."
-Roger Loveless
Joseph
represents the desires of our hearts. He reminds us of the secret acts of Christmas kindness given with sacrifice and love to the broken, the weary, the lost, or the lonely.
***
The next night we talked about the angels. After reading some scriptures and words to favorite hymns, plus what the author had to say and since we had already done our caroling earlier in the month, we were super excited to go to our mall and participate in a spontaneous Hallelujah Choir. Unfortunately, about 5,000 other people also heard about it and were headed there too. It was canceled and the mall was evacuated. It's OK, we still had a fun night together stopping for hot chocolate and singing carols together.
The Angel
embodies a heart that runneth over with good tidings and great joy of the season. The angel is a reminder that the anticipation of good things to come should fill our hearts with warmth overflowing.
***
Next we learned more about the Shepherd. We had a great time making candy cane cookies representing the Shepherd's staff. With sugar cookie dough we divided it in half, coloring one half red and flavoring with some peppermint extract. The kids then rolled them out and twisted them. Note how careful Katelyn is being, they were beautiful (and tasty) cookies!
I don't have a picture of the final product, but look here on the counter to see how cute they turned out.
Have I ever mentioned how much my Katelyn LOVES to cook. I think someday she may have her own show.
The Shepherd
symbolizes a testimony within, an inner conviction that we have come to know Christ. The Shepherd is a reminder for us to come closer to the Lord, now and with haste, and then to share our testimony with others.
***
Next we learned more about the wise men. They remind us of our search to know the Lord. I love what Emily Freeman suggests about the meaning behind the gifts they brought. I am so excited next year to give it a try around here!
The Wise Men
exemplify the journey each of us takes as we seek the Lord. They remind us that as we draw closer to Him, we will be led to continue our journey another way.
***
The next piece of the nativity is the lamb. Symbolic of many teachings of Christ, the lamb often represents a true follower. Among other things we talked about how interesting it is that Thanksgiving comes before Christmas. Maybe a season of gratitude always precedes a season of giving. Gratitude prepares our hearts. We took some time to ponder and share the tender mercies the Lord has granted us this year. How blessed we are.
The Lamb
reminds us to prepare our hearts to recognize the hand of the Lord in our life, and then, in that instant, give thanks.
***







With out the typical snow as we have in Utah...it was somwhat difficult to really get in the Christmas spirit Thank you for the sweet message of the seven nights before Christmas. I thoroughly enjoyed it as it prepared me for a wonderful Christmas celebration.
ReplyDelete