Friday, January 8, 2010
A year to "FOCUS"
After coming across this idea on a few blogs last year I decided that in 2010 I would choose a word/theme/something to work on throughout the year. This idea was on my mind the last few months and there were lots of contenders. However, in December I made a serious effort (all month, that is until the last 36 hours before leaving town for two weeks with ALL of our Christmas and it's total chaos!) to be FOCUSED on the important things I wanted to have happen. It was amazing how when there was a decision to be made about how we were going to spend our time that word would pop into my mind and I would remind myself of what was truly important. I knew then that FOCUS would be my 2010 word.
I love this quote from Elder Uchtdorf:
"We know what matters most in life—the Light of Christ teaches this to everyone...I imagine that any [of us] listening to my voice today, if asked to prepare a talk on the subject “what matters most,” could and would do an excellent job. Our weakness is in failing to align our actions with our conscience.
Pause for a moment and check where your own heart and thoughts are. Are you focused on the things that matter most? How you spend your quiet time may provide a valuable clue. Where do your thoughts go when the pressure of deadlines is gone? Are your thoughts and heart focused on those short-lived fleeting things that matter only in the moment or on things that matter most?"
Ahh! The answer lies in our actions. This year I will do a better job FOCUSing on my relationship with my Savior, my husband, and my kids. Of course under those three areas come very specific goals and actions, but I made this little reminder for my bathroom. I think it's one of the few places I stand still (while blow-drying my hair every morning) for ten minutes. I can take the opportunity to think on it and plan my strategy for the day. What do I want to have happen? How can I do the important not just the urgent?
2010 HERE I COME!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Rachelle, I love your word and the photo you made! A couple of years ago our Stake RS president said in a meeting, "We're not going to talk about balance, we going to talk about focus" and it made so much sense to me. Of course the application is the sticking point, so I'm not sure I'm any better at "focusing" than I was at "balancing" but I'm trying. Thanks for the reminder. It's hard to imagine that you have much room for improvement! :)
ReplyDeleteLove the way your stand and sign turned out. Boy! what a great example you are. I agree with Michelle,"it's hard to imagine that you have much room for improvement." Love you!
ReplyDeleteI love your word for the year - it has always been one of my favorites. In fact my 16 year old daughter has picked it as her word for the year!
ReplyDeleteHave you read the Power of Focus - it's a great book!