Sunday, March 29, 2015

Andrew getting the Priesthood



Tonight was a special night for our family and especially for Andrew as he received the Aaronic Priesthood.  Although Bill and Ginny couldn’t attend they brought over a rainbow jello for Andrew.  Years ago he told her how much he LOVED her famous jello and made her a perler bead for her fridge.  Ever since then, Andrew has been wrapped around Ginny’s finger and she is willing to make him rainbow jello every time we see her.  
 Grandpa Backman and Janet, Grandpa and Grandma Jensen, Grandpa Kerry, Grandma Bonnie, David, Kristin, Chris and our family was in attendance.  We started off with having Aubrey and the twins sing the song, Gethsemane.  Then Andrew was given the Aaronic Priesthood and a special blessing by Tyler.  
Here are the men in the circle (Uncle David and Uncle Chris on the right) and also Andrew with his Dad, Grandpa and two great-grandpas.  What a blessed boy to have these men as examples in his life.
 Afterwards we had a delicious dinner, in fact it was a HUGE spread that I wish I would have gotten a photo of.  We had pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, rainbow jello, chips, vegetables and dips, fruit and dips, and a yummy bread with dip.  It was great!  Afterwards we all sat in the family room and the kids played the piano and did some singing.  Everyone was so positive and got lots of compliments.  We had a family home evening from my Christ Centered Easter book by Emily Freeman.  I read the chapter about the women in the Savior’s life and then invited everyone to share their testimony of the Savior.  Aubrey started us off by singing,  “I know that my Redeemer Lives”.  What followed was a sweet experience where almost everyone shared the tender feelings of their heart.  Grandpa Backman shared Elder Uchdorf’s article from March’s Ensign with the picture of Christ being supported by an angel is Gethsemane.  He shared his experience as a boy going to South Africa where his Dad served for four and a half years as a missionary.  Grandpa Kerry (talked about not growing up in the church and how everything he has is because of the gospel, doesn’t know where he would be without it) , Grandma Bonnie (how much she appreciates Andrew always being a gentleman to her and the faith of the stripling warriors),  Grandpa Jensen (talked about the blessing of the temple), Grandma Jensen (how great it is to have your son pass you the sacrament and bless it how much she loves him), Aunt Kristin , Me, Tyler.  It was a sweet night.  
 Andrew wrote the following in his journal, “ Today, March 29, 2015 I was ordained to the office of a deacon.  Grandma Janet and Grandma Backman, Grandpa/ma Jensen, Grandpa/ma Price, Aunt Krisitn, Uncle Cris, and Uncle David were all there.  We had our family night and then shared our testimonies.  All of them talked about how proud they were of me, but they all had something difference about them.  It might have been that the Priesthood is the first step to manhood, or it might have been about the sacrament and duties of a deacon.  Even so, they all invited the Spirit into the room and with each testimony, the Spirit grew.  When I was ordained though, my Dad started to cry.  He blessed me that I would be able to strong and do what is right and take this responsibility seriously and to always use it to serve, whenever I could.  I shed a few tears along with everyone else because I knew that the reason I was crying was because of the love I could feel everyone had for me and my family.  The Spirit was so strong and I will always do my best to do my duty as an Aaronic Priesthood holder.”

We sure love this boy and are proud of his decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails