Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I love that choice

For the past two days I have enjoyed being part of a process facilitated by my local school district, as part of a strategic planning team for my children's public middle school.  This team was comprised of parents, teachers, administration, support staff, and two students. Although I went into this experience knowing that we have great teachers here, I was beyond impressed with them.  Every opportunity to shirk another responsibility being put on their plate or another time they needed to come up with some possible solutions for things even outside their traditional "teaching responsibilities" (i.e. what they get paid for) they stepped up to the plate with enthusiasm and a sincere desire to go above and beyond.

The first day we introduced ourselves with an adjective from our initials.  I used parent to represent the P in my last name and as usual got some big reactions (all positive) to having five children.  As usual, people made small comments here and there, mainly asking me how I do it.  I love the opportunity it gives me to share the why.  I always wanted five kids.  My mom had five and both of my grandmothers had five.  Growing up, five always sounded like a good number, four not being enough and six too many.  I can do five because I have an amazing husband and I always share this.  It isn't a one man show around here.  I have help and support and so value that.  
At one point during the day, we had a break and one of the other moms there leaned over to chat.  She said with a smile, "Did I hear you right that you have FIVE kids?" I said, "yes".  She then asked, "do you stay home with them?" And I said, "yes, I am so blessed I can stay home with them".  And then she paused and with complete wonder said, "wow, I love that choice."

I love this.
 She recognized it is a choice; not an easy one.

 One that is difficult on many fronts as we live in an expensive state with more than the average 1.5 children. I am conscience where this choice comes from as it is  a unified decision between Tyler and me of what is best for our family and Tyler's job that provides a salary that we can live within our means.
But I would prefer to make this choice everyday!
I am so grateful.  I know it's not a choice every woman gets or wants to make.
 I realize that we all have to do what's right for us, but for me it is this.
I am so grateful.  I hope my daughters have the opportunity to make the same choice.
We need to support each other and I appreciated this strangers immediate support.

I was especially passionate about the family and community piece being key in our mission statement.  At one point I had one of the teachers putting heart post it notes and "nailed it" drawings on my name tag. 
There was also some clapping and chanting for me to be the next PTC President...oh my. 
That's another days decision and topic.
But for now, I know that "my choice" is where I have the area of greatest impact.
Within my own walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails