After a very specific impression kept coming that I needed to challenge my Primary kids to read the Book of Mormon I finally started to listen. It wasn't that I was against the idea at all, its just that it's JUNE! I'm kind of one of those "start new goals in January" kind of people. However, Heavenly Father must have something else in store for these sweet children. I'm so grateful for a supportive presidency that joined in the efforts whole-hardheartedly...kicking if off in July!!
I introduced it during sharing time by singing and then going through the meaning and the POWER behind the words to the song, "Scripture Power". I love this song and it's message!
Because I want to be like the Savior and I can,
I'm reading His instructions, I'm following His plan.
Because I want the Power His word will give to me,
I'm changing how I live, I'm changing how I'll be.
Scripture Power keeps me safe from sin.
Scripture Power is the power to win.
Scripture Power, every day I need,
the power that I get each time I read.
I'll find the sword of truth in each scripture that I learn.
I'll take the shield of faith from these pages that I turn.
I'll wear each vital part of the armor of the Lord,
And fight my daily battles and win a great reward.
Then I had a few people I had asked before church to share their testimony and experience reading and finishing the Book of Mormon. It was perfect! The Spirit was so strong as two of the Primary children (age 8 and 11), a Primary teacher, the full time missionaries shared their own thoughts and feelings.
I shared from the title page, the promise that "man will get nearer to God by abiding by this book, than by any other" and my favorite promise of President Hinckley's,
"Brothers and sisters, without reservation I
promise
you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon,
regardless
of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into
your
hearts an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord. There will
come
a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and
there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son
of
God."
The children were not only silent, but excited to get started.
We passed out these reading charts and I made these bookmarks (attached to bags of gummy worms).
We plan to put fun reminders in the mailbox over the next year, including scripture books made from Nugget chocolates, gum to help remind them to "choose" to read, gummy worms to be Book of Mormon book worms, stickers and any other cute things we come across.
In addition, every month we will have a visitor from the ward share their testimony of reading the Book of Mormon. Our Bishop will be first as he read it first as a 12 year old and still has his original scriptures. Each time he finishes (he is on his 29th time) he records the date and a little about what is going on in his life at the time. The Spirit is so strong each time we testify of the Book of Mormon's truthfulness and life-changing experience it is to read. I love Primary and am praying that these cute kids are reading :)


No comments:
Post a Comment