Friday, January 1, 2010

Our Christmas Vacation, Part Idaho

Top ten things about our visit:
1.We loved seeing my parents, grandparents, sister, and one of my brothers.  Unfortunately, my brother Nathan couldn't come home from his rotation in Texas.  We really missed him, but were so grateful to see his handsome face on Skype!  I was so appreciative of this amazing family that he spent Christmas with.  They had emailed us before hand to find out his favorite treats, books, etc.  They got him gifts and loved on him like he was part of their family.  That made not having him with us a little easier. 
2.  Idaho is beyond cold.  Honestly, we froze.  The temperatures were in the teens and the wind-chill put things really into perspective...I love my home sweet home, California!
3.  Visiting the ranch is as good as an amusement park for my kids, but free!  The early morning biscuits and gravy, riding the four-wheeler, riding the horses, checking out the cows (aren't they cold?), and just taking in "Grandpa's world", who needs Disneyland?

Aubrey seems to be so comfortable with horses.


4.  Going to the movies in Jerome is an intimate experience.  Like usual we walked into an empty theater.  When else can you say to your kids, "sit anywhere you want"?
5.  We also went to the local cattle auction.  If you can imagine hundreds of cows in a closed room, it really smells.  The kids loved the auctioneer and I thought Andrew's description was perfect- he said, "Mom, it's like he sings numbers really fast".  The ranch "cowboy" (that's what he's called, kind of like head "helper"), Chester, asked Tyler if it smelled.  I think it could have been the twins holding their noses that gave it away?  Tyler told him that indeed it did and he could smell Jerome two miles before we arrive.  Chester roared with laughter as he said he can't smell it anymore.  This older man lit up his cigarette inside.  I'm not sure if the second hand smoke laws don't apply to livestock sales, but seriously my mom said cigarette smoke never smelled so good!!  For those of you who have never been to one before, I took a photo, I'm pretty sure by the looks I got that people aren't taking photos very often.

A few facts: the guys in the orange chairs are the bidders, the guys on the white benches are the sellers.  It was fascinating watching the buyers.  Just the slightest little nod of their head or raise of their wrist and they had moved the price up.  I'm pretty sure my kids would have bought several hundred had we been sitting in those seats.  Another interesting thing to note was the buyer could pick out any of the group he didn't want.  They all looked the same to me, but he may want one marked (with dirt thrown up on his back by the guy down in with the cows.  Note the cow in the bottom right.) and out of the bunch he is buying.  The cattle my dad had brought when for the highest that day, $1.30 a pound.
6.  Santa found us.  Thank goodness, Katelyn was really counting on the pink princess clock.
Our van was FULL going out, but will be even more full coming home!  Our Christmas morning was wonderful. It's always fun to see the reactions to the gifts you give!


7.  It was so great to talk on the phone to my youngest brother David on Christmas day, who is on his mission in Honduras.  He had this cute accent and such a fun way of saying things.  He comes home this fall.
8.  Someone in my family ate a small diamond from my mom's wedding ring.  We made Lion House crescent rolls for Christmas dinner, they were great.  However, my mom puts her ring in her KitchenAid when she gets home from work each day.  She had not looked inside when we started adding the ingredients and not until they were mixed, had raised, and she was rolling them out did she see her ring!  Bummer, one small diamond was missing.
9.  Found a few great bargains on our early morning, the day after Christmas shopping.  Target looked like it was October, the aisles were so full!


10.  The kids love doing crafts and cooking projects with Grandma, horse rides on Great-Grandpa, and I gave my Dad his first facial mask.  I was reminded that in addition to Christmas being about our Savior's birth it is also about family.  It was wonderful to be with our extended family.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you guys had a great Christmas! Aubrey those chaps are the ones I used to use, Can you believe that? You look like an experienced cowgirl. Andrew did my dad let ya have the reins all by yourself? Everyone looks great and I miss ya! Love ya! Uncle Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great opportunity to experience the world outside of California. But what happened to our little Aubrey? The picture of her in those chaps makes her look so grown up. I guess it's all that "stink" there that makes her look so grown up! What a beautiful picture of Katelyn. Actually love them all!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails